Miramonte Elementary reopens with new staff in wake of scandal

150
0
Share:

Miramonte Elementary reopens with new staff in wake of scandal

SOUTH LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BDCi) – Miramonte Elementary School reopened on Thursday with completely new staff, in the wake of the arrests of two teachers last week on child sex abuse charges.

LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy said the idea behind the “clean sweep” is to re-build confidence among the many families who have lost faith in the school in the wake of the sex scandal.

“I am not going to wait for any other surprises at Miramonte,” Deasy said in a letter to all LAUSD employees.

The school was closed on Tuesday and Wednesday to give the new teachers time to come in.

The district has also hired psychiatric evaluators for every classroom.

Deasy has promised to interview every former Miramonte student and staff member. Additionally, an independent commission has been formed to further investigate abuse at Miramonte, headed by former California Supreme Court Chief Justice Carlos Moreno.

The existing Miramonte teachers and staff are not losing their jobs. Instead, they are supposed to report to nearby Augustus Hawkins High School, which is still under construction.

The teachers will not have nay contact with students, but they will still be getting paid.

They will undergo extensive interviews and evaluations. They will also stay busy planning lessons, calculating grades and building a curriculum, according to Deasy.

RELATED ARTICLES
Removal of all Miramonte staff and faculty protested
Second teacher at Miramonte Elementary charged
L.A teacher charged with lewd acts on 23 children

By: Natania Levine
Courtesy: ktla.com
Photo: ktla.com
9 February 2012
11:50 a.m P.S.T

Share:

Leave a reply