Serial Arsonist to face 100 counts of arson

161
0
Share:

Serial Arsonist to face 100 counts of arson
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BDCi) – The serial arsonist Harry Burkhart is set to appear in court on Tuesday where he faces 100 counts related to 49 fires set during a four-day spree that left the Los Angeles are on edge.

Burkhart has now been tied by prosecutors to 49 of 51 blazes set earlier this month from Hollywood to Burbank in the largest arson spree in decades, officials said.

Los Angeles police and fire investigators said the 24-year-old German national was motivated by his hatred of America after federal officials jailed his mother, who was facing deportation.

Los Angeles police said they have physical evidence tying Burkhart to the arson spree, including fire-starting materials found inside his minivan when he was arrested.

Federal immigration officials said they believed Burkhart was in the United States on a visa due to expire in two weeks. Dorothee Burkhart, the mother of Harry Burkhart, told a federal judge earlier this month that her son is mentally ill.

By: Natania Levine
Courtesy: latimes.com
Photo: latimesblogs.latimes.com
24 January 2012
2:50 p.m P.S.T

RELATED ARTICLES
News clippings about fires found in Arson suspect’s apartment
Arson spree suspect in custody

Share:

Leave a reply